- Two LIMBS students, Manu Madhav and Sarah Stamper had their jointly authored, interdisciplinary paper selected as the Editor's Choice in the Journal of Experimental Biology. Their paper, which investigates how special interference patterns called "envelopes" drive the behavior of electric fish, was ranked as the third best paper in 2012 in the journal. The student's work was co-advised by LIMBS Lab director Noah J. Cowan and his colleague Eric S. Fortune (Professor of Biology at NJIT). Their paper is freely available until December 5, 2012 and can be found here: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/23/4196.full and on the LIMBS lab Publications page. The "Inside JEB" feature for the article can be found at http://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/23/iii.
- Daniel Price and Meghan Lockwood gave great presentations for the Final 2012 Summer REU presentation. Daniel won the Best Presentation award!
- Dr. Sarah Stamper Passed her PhD defense on June 27, 2012. Congratulations Sarah!!!
- Dr. Eatai Roth Passed his PhD defense on March 17, 2012. Congratulations Eatai!!!
- 20 April 2012: Teressa Alexander receives best poster award in Engineering/Physics category in the "Morgan State University 19th Annual Undergraduate & Graduate Science Research Symposium". Congratulations Teressa!
- 28 March 2012: Mert Ankarali and Alican Demir win Creel Family Teaching Assistant Awards!
- 2 February 2012: Mert Ankarali and Alican Demir pass Department Qualifying Exams.
- December 2011: Scientific American's top 12 list of toys and games for the brain, as suggested by Prof. Cowan and other scientists and engineers around the world.
- Dr. John P. Swensen Passed his PhD defense on November 17, 2011. Congratulations John!!!
- Professor Noah J. Cowan participated in a Science Roundtable discussion on October 13, 2011, hosted by The Science Coalition, featuring winners of the prestigious Presidential Early-Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) from universities around the country. The on-the-record event was held at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Learn more and listen here.
- 26 September 2011: President Obama named Professor Noah J. Cowan as one of the recipients of the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on young professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers. The recipients will receive their awards at a White House ceremony in October.
President Barack Obama greets the 2010 PECASE recipients in the East Room of the White House, Oct. 14, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
- 30 June 2011: Former LIMBS Lab student, Robert J. Webster, III, received the Dick Volz US PhD Thesis Award (for theses completed in the US in 2007) for his Thesis Design and Mechanics of Continuum Robots for Surgery. Bob was co-advised by Noah Cowan and Allison Okamura.
- 6 August 2010: Rohan Ramesh (right) and Rachel Jackson (left), working in the LIMBS lab over the summer, earned first place and runner-up, respectively, for their CISST ERC REU Program final presentations. Congratulations!
- 26 May 2010: John Swensen gets promoted to PhD Candidate by passing his GBO.
- 21 April 2010: Prof. Cowan gets promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure.
- 25 January 2010: Shahin Sefati, Manu Madhav and Avik De pass Department Qualifying Exams.
- 4 September 2009: Alican Demir completes his MS Thesis. Congrats Alican!
- 1 September 2009: Profs. Noah Cowan and Eric Fortune receive NSF CDI grant with Northwestern University (Malcolm MacIver (PI), Neelesh Patankar) and Harvard University (George Lauder).
- 4 March 2009: Prof. Cowan receives NSF CAREER Award: "CAREER: Sensory Guidance of Locomotion: From Neurons to Newton's Laws"
- 9 January 2009: ONR Grant Awarded: "Kalman Filters in Brain Circuits: Multisensory Control in Weakly Electric Knifefish" Cowan (PI), Fortune (Co-PI).
- 12 December 2008: Jusuk Lee graduates and earns a PhD!
- 24 October 2008: PhD Student Eatai Roth passes his GBO
- 5 July 2008: NSF Grant Award: "Enhancement of Electrosensory Function via Social Interaction" Fortune (PI), Cowan (Co-PI).
- 12 June 2008 Vinutha Kallem graduates and earns a PhD!
- 22 May 2008: Bob Webster (co-advised by Prof. Okamura and Prof. Cowan) graduates and earns a PhD!
- 7 Aug 2007: NSF Grant Award: "Active Cannulas for Bio-Sensing and Surgery",Cowan (PI), Okamura (Co-PI), Webster (Co-PI; Vanderbilt University).
- 17 Jul 2007: NSF Grant Award: "Manipulating and Perceiving Simultaniously (MAPS)", Hager (PI), Cowan (Co-PI), Okamura (Co-PI).
- 23 Feb 2007: PhD Student Vinutha Kallem passes her GBO
- 9 Feb 2007: Prof. Noah Cowan's paper with neuroscientist Eric Fortune in the Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25(1), was rated as a "Must Read" by two members of the Faculty of 1000. The paper was recently feature in the JHU Gazette and the Hopkins News-Letter and is part of an NSF-funded collaboration.
- 31 Jan 2007: PhD Student Eatai Roth passes his departmental qualifier.
- 12 Dec 2006: Alican Demir's "ArtBot" takes first place!
- 01 Sep 2006: NSF Grant Awarded: "Vision-Based Control of Mechanical Systems via Sampling Kernels", Cowan (PI), Hager (Co-PI)
- 27 Apr 2006: PhD Student Jusuk Lee passes his GBO
- 24 Apr 2006: Alican Demir receives the Provosts Undergraduate Research Award
- 30 Mar 2006: Eatai Roth receives NSF Graduate Reseerch Fellowship
- 20 Feb 2006: Terrence Jao receives Howard Hughes summer research fellowship.
- 09 Jan 2006: NSF Grant Awarded: "Multi-Sensory Control of Tracking Behavior in Weakly Electric Fish", Cowan (PI), Fortune (Co-PI).
- 06 Apr 2005: Noah Cowan receives the William H. Huggins Excellence in Teaching Award
This page was last modified 22:00, 7 November 2012.